This online course enables Personal Trainers to help those recovering from breast cancer to build confidence and regain function through the use of specialised therapeutic exercises.
Understand how to safely work muscle groups affected by treatment and surgery and how to support the physical and emotional recovery of clients.
On successful completion of the course you’ll be able to:
- Identify risk factors associated with breast cancer.
- Outline methods used to detect and diagnose breast cancer.
- Name the relevant anatomy affected by breast cancer surgery.
- Identify the major types of surgery for breast cancer.
- Discuss the side effects of both local and systemic treatments.
- Discuss the major physical and psychological problems faced by breast cancer survivors.
- Outline realistic and attainable exercise goals for this population.
- Plan a safe exercise programme based on client assessment of needs for women undergoing treatment and women post-treatment.
- Outline precautions and contra-indications to exercise and criteria for termination of exercise.
- Identify the professional responsibilities of fitness professionals when working with clients with breast cancer.
- Locate relevant information through local, regional and national resources identified in the manual.