For many, Inspiratory muscle training (IMT) remains “too good to be true”, after all, how can something so simple possibly improve performance in only 4 weeks, with just 5 minutes per day of training? This webinar describes the diverse roles of the respiratory musculature in sport, as well as the demands these muscles must meet.
It also described the evidence that IMT enhances performance in athletes and explain the physiological mechanisms that underpin these changes.
Finally, the webinar introduced the emerging concept of “functional” IMT.
At the end of the webinar, you should be able to:
• Identify the respiratory and non-respiratory roles of the respiratory muscles
• Recognise the situations under which the respiratory muscles are overloaded functionally
• Describe the situations in which inspiratory muscle training enhances performance
• Describe the mechanisms by which inspiratory muscle training does and does not enhance performance
• Describe the rationale and implementation of functional training approaches in IMT
This webinar is part of a series organised by Human Kinetics on behalf The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES).
Subscribe to our newsletters
Every month Human Kinetics produces three unique email Newsletters, packed with great articles, events and news, plus information on our latest resources and exclusive reader offers. They’re completely free and if you change your mind you can unsubscribe at any time. So subscribe today.
Fill in your information below and check the emails you want.