Sports in American History, 2nd Edition journeys from early American sports history to the present, detailing the evolution of sporting practices in the US. Students are provided with insights into new and alternative perspectives. As well as, the examination of sport as a social and cultural phenomenon and consideration of future developments in American sport.
This updated second edition features the following new additions:
- An entire chapter discussing sport in the twenty-first century
- New sidebars which introduce key figures in American sports history and provide students with a global understanding of sport
- Timelines with major sport and societal events and milestones provide context in each chapter
- More than 150 images relating people and events to the accompanying text
- Chapter objectives and discussion questions
- An ancillary suite helps instructors prepare for class with an instructor guide, test package, and presentation package.
Unique in its level of detail, broad time frame and focus on sports this guide is the essential student resource. In addition, a variety of excerpts from newspapers and magazines provide firsthand accounts. These not only inform and fascinate readers but also provide a well-rounded perspective on the historical development of American sport.
With sidebars offering an international viewpoint, this book will help students understand how historical events have shaped sport differently in the United States than in other parts of the world.